A sheep Under A Shepherd.
- God sees us as sheep. ‘ Know (perceive, recognize, and understand with approval) that the Lord is God! It is He Who has made us, not we ourselves [and we are His]! We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:3AMPC
- Sheep need a shepherd.
- Sheep need love, care, and growth.
- When sheep lack a shepherd, they become weary and scattered. They also faint. Matthew 9:36-38 NKJV But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.“
- The work of a shepherd is to feed sheep – give them pasture. (Vs 1)
- Jesus Christ is the chief shepherd. ‘ And [then] when the Chief Shepherd is revealed, you will win the conqueror’s crown of glory.’
1 Peter 5:4 AMPC
Why We Need A Shepherd:
We have already seen that God sees us as sheep in need of a shepherd.
The Psalmist says ” THE Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.”
Psalm 23:1 AMPC
When we accept to be sheep under a shepherd, we are:
To feed is to provide/supply/give food to someone or an animal. A shepherd will take care of both our spiritual and physical hunger. They are going to teach you the precepts o our lord as in Jeremiah 3:15 -‘ And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will guide you with knowledge and understanding. ‘ NLT
May God lead you to your shepherd this year!
Man is prone to make mistakes. An old adage says “man is to err” which justifies the former statement.
Without a shepherd to guide you, you will make silly mistakes that may cost you a lot in life. For example, you may end up marrying a strange woman thinking she is a good woman, you might also take up jobs that will draw you farther from God, and you may also enter into a different stage in life prematurely.
A shepherd acts more like a mentor, they will have gone before you and that will come in handy as they give you counsel on important matters concerning your life, your ministry, et al.
For a shepherd to do this effectively, you need to be a sheep who is submitted to their shepherd and receive instructions and rebukes alike.
I pray you receive a heart that allows you to be guided.
So much happens when we are out in the world unprotected. A shield is essential for anyone who is out in a battle. Soldiers need shields, and Christians are also asked to wear a shield of faith – Our faith can guard us during trials in the same way a shield would during battle. For example, when doubt creeps in and our beliefs are questioned, our faith in Christ will protect us. We can stand firm in knowing what we believe. In addition, our faith can protect us when we experience anxiety and fear. (Weekly Devotional: The Armor of God – Shield of Faith)
Pause and Reflect:
Do I have a shepherd in my life?
In what areas of my life do I need feeding, guidance, and protection/shielding?
Dear God, may you send me a shepherd this year who is going to feed me, guide me, and be a shield to me. Amen.